Friday, July 21, 2017

Enjoying Learning German-FREE-at duolingo.com

I registered for  GERM 1000 - Elementary German I  - for this coming Fall term 2017-2018 at MUN (Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador) in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I thought I'd learn a little German this summer so I went surfing on the Internet.

I am very happy that I found the duolingo.com website.
I use Norton anti-virus and Norton says it is a "Safe website".
It is FREE and I can confirm that it is a FUN way to spend some time each day.

You select how many minutes a day, you want to spend on your course.
I chose 15 minutes a day. You do not even have to do the full 15 minutes all at once. 
You can even do a few mins any time you want during the 24 hr day and continue later in the day, when you next want to spend some time on your language learning.
You will see an arc that shows how much of your goal you have achieved as you continue.
The idea is to learn a little new info and review what you have already learned each day faithfully to keep building what you know.
To keep you on track, you will get a reminder by email sometime during the day if you have not done your studying yet for that day.

There is a long list of  "Language Courses for English Speakers" at the following website:

https://www.duolingo.com/courses

QUOTE:
Personalized education
Everyone learns in different ways. For the first time in history, we can analyze how millions of people learn at once to create the most effective educational system possible and tailor it to each student.

Our ultimate goal is to give everyone access to a private tutor experience through technology.


Making learning fun.

It's hard to stay motivated when learning online, so we made Duolingo so fun that people would prefer picking up new skills over playing a game.

Universally accessible.


There are over 1.2 billion people learning a language and the majority are doing so to gain access to better opportunities. Unfortunately, learning a language is expensive and inaccessible to most.

We created Duolingo so that everyone could have a chance. Free language education – no hidden fees, no premium content, just free.

Duolingo is used by the richest man in the world and many Hollywood stars, and at the same time by public schools students in developing countries. We believe true equality is when spending more can't buy you a better education.
UNQUOTE:

I also really enjoy practicing with "Flash Cards" at the following website:
https://tinycards.duolingo.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is nice that you can click to hear pronunciation on both the duolingo and tinycard websites.  I often click several times before I am content that I understand the speech & I try to imitate it.

Also sometimes you have a choice of clicking to hear the sound at normal speed or you can click a turtle-like symbol to hear it at much slower speed.  I often click the slow speed several times before I can focus on the normal speed of speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment